Can One Person Live In A 3 Bedroom Council House?

April 2024

Can One Person Live In A 3 Bedroom Council House In April 2024?

This article discusses the regulations and considerations surrounding council housing, offering insights into occupancy rules, the application process, and the implications of under-occupancy. The article will help you do the following – 

1 – Understand the significance of familiarising oneself with council housing regulations.

2 – Learn about the criteria for council house allocation and the impact of under-occupancy.

3 – Discover the main topics covered, including eligibility criteria, application processes, and occupancy rules.

4 – Grasp the benefits of comprehending these regulations, such as avoiding potential issues with housing benefits.

5 – Consider actions to take post-reading, such as checking with local authorities before moving into a property or applying for a council house.

Key Takeaways & Learnings From This Page on Council Housing Occupancy Rules In The UK

1 – The allocation of council houses is based on household size and composition, with specific rules determining the number of bedrooms each household is entitled to.

2 – Under-occupancy rules may restrict a single person from living in a three-bedroom council house unless exceptional circumstances apply.

3 – Council housing applications are assessed through a points or banding system, prioritising applicants based on urgency, local connection, and medical or welfare needs.

4 – The Bedroom Standard significantly influences eligibility for Housing Benefit, with the ‘bedroom tax’ potentially reducing benefits for those with spare bedrooms.

5 – Councils have the discretion to make exceptions in housing allocation and benefits for households with special circumstances, such as medical needs or disabilities.

6 – Understanding council rules on bedroom sharing and the tricks to get a council house can be crucial for navigating the council house application process effectively.

7 – Post-reading, individuals should consider reviewing their eligibility for council housing, exploring the council house application process, and ensuring compliance with occupancy guidelines. 

Topics that you will find covered on this page

How Many Bedrooms Am I Entitled To In a Council House?

The number of bedrooms a household can occupy depends on size and composition. Typically, councils allow one bedroom for each adult couple and one for every two single people aged 16 or over. The number of living rooms you have needs to be looked at. 

While some people think that a local authority will look at all the rooms, they only look at the bedroom. For families with children, the availability of extra bedrooms depends on their ages and genders – e.g., two children of different sexes up to the age of 10 may share a room, while separate rooms will be allocated to teenagers aged 10-15.

Therefore, a single person living in a three-bedroom property would typically not be allowed by their local authority to under-occupy the house. But again, there are certain circumstances where an exception could be made, such as if they had medical needs or cared for elderly relatives. 

In conclusion, it is important to remember that there are rules about how many bedrooms a household can under-occupy depending on its size and composition.

It is, therefore, essential to check with the local authority before moving into a property. Understanding these rules will help ensure that you do not have any problems when claiming housing benefits.

What is Classed As Overcrowded In a Council House?

Although councils will allow a certain number of bedrooms to be under-occupied, they may also consider a property overcrowded if the number of people living there exceeds the available space. 

For example, according to government guidelines, a three-bedroom home is considered overcrowded when four or more people live in it. Other signs that your home might be too small for its residents include – 

1 – not enough beds for everyone

2 – two adults sharing one bed

3 – children sleeping on sofas or floors

4 – Due to a lack of space in other rooms, dining room tables are used as work surfaces.

In conclusion, councils can deem a property overcrowded when the number of occupants exceeds the number of bedrooms available.

How to Get a 3-Bedroom Council House

The allocation of council houses in the UK is governed by specific legal and policy frameworks designed to ensure fairness and address housing needs efficiently. These criteria are crucial for applicants to understand as they navigate the council housing application process.

1 – Council House Allocation Policies

Councils use a points-based system or a banding system to prioritize housing applications. Points or bands are awarded based on several factors, including –

a) Urgency of Housing Need

Applicants facing homelessness, overcrowding, or unsanitary living conditions receive higher priority.

b) Local Connection

Preference is often given to those who have lived in the area for a certain period or have family connections.

c) Medical and Welfare Needs

Applicants with health conditions or disabilities that are exacerbated by their current housing situation may be awarded additional points.

d) Overcrowding and Under-Occupation

 Specific rules apply to the allocation of bedrooms. Generally, one bedroom is allocated for each adult couple, single adult, or child over 16. Children under 16 of the same gender are expected to share, as are children under 10 regardless of gender. Exceptions may apply for medical reasons or other special circumstances.

council house

2 – Bedroom Standards and Housing Benefit

The Bedroom Standard plays a significant role in determining eligibility for Housing Benefit. This standard stipulates – 

a) One bedroom for each adult couple or single adult.

b) One bedroom for every two children under 16 of the same gender.

c) One bedroom for every two children under 10 regardless of gender.

d) Single adults or adult couples can claim for one bedroom.

Applicants with spare bedrooms may face a reduction in Housing Benefit, known as the ‘bedroom tax’. However, exceptions exist for those with a recognized need for an extra bedroom, such as a disability requiring overnight care.

3 – Addressing Specific Circumstances

Councils have the discretion to make exceptions to general allocation and benefit rules to accommodate specific needs. For example, a household with a disabled member who requires additional space for medical equipment or a carer may be allocated an extra bedroom.

"Councils will usually visit your property to check the occupancy status. This is so that they can ensure that you are only subletting or taking on lodgers with their permission."

Special Circumstances for Council Housing Eligibility

Council housing policies accommodate various special circumstances, ensuring that individuals with unique needs or situations are fairly considered during the allocation process.

1 – Medical Needs and Disabilities

Individuals with medical conditions or disabilities may qualify for housing that meets their specific needs. This includes –

a) Allocation of ground-floor or adapted properties for wheelchair users.

b) Consideration for extra bedrooms for individuals requiring overnight care or space for medical equipment.

2 – Families with Special Considerations

Families may also be eligible for specific accommodations based on their unique family structure or needs – 

a) Single parents with shared custody may be eligible for an additional bedroom to accommodate their child’s regular overnight stays.

b) Families with a foster child or those in the process of fostering can apply for an extra bedroom, recognizing the importance of providing a stable environment for foster children.

Swap Council Houses

3 – Temporary and Exceptional Circumstances

Councils may also consider temporary or exceptional circumstances that affect housing needs – 

a) Bereavement in the family may temporarily affect the household’s eligibility and need for bedrooms.

b) Individuals escaping domestic violence may be prioritized for housing that ensures their safety and well-being.

3 Bedroom Council House Exchange 

Council tenants may be able to swap their homes if they want to change scenery or need a property of a different size. A tenant could, for example, swap from a three-bedroom council house to a two-bedroom flat. They would not be expected to share with someone else if this remains their main home. Home swaps are free and can be arranged through the local council. 

Generally speaking, the council will only approve home swaps between two tenancies with similar rental values and long-term contracts that do not financially burden either tenant. You must complete a new tenancy agreement and a tenancy form to change homes.

Due to housing regulations and legislation, it is essential to note that some councils will not allow single people to live in larger properties, such as those with three bedrooms. Therefore, it may be difficult for someone living alone to secure an exchange into such accommodations unless exceptional circumstances apply (e.g. the tenant will soon be sharing the tenancy with another person).

Swapping council houses can sometimes take a long time – depending on availability, and both tenants must agree in writing to the swap before it can go ahead. The local authority housing team may also require additional information such as references, proof of identity and bank statements.

Council House Swap and Moving Process

Understanding the process for swapping council houses or moving to a different council property is crucial for tenants seeking accommodation that better suits their needs.

1 – Initiating a House Swap

To begin the process of a house swap, tenants should – 

a) Register with a Mutual Exchange Service

Services like HomeSwapper are designed to help council and housing association tenants find others interested in swapping homes.

b) Seek Approval from Your Council

 Before proceeding with a swap, both parties must obtain consent from their respective councils. This involves submitting an application detailing the proposed swap.

c) Considerations for Approval

Councils will assess applications based on property size and tenancy conditions. Both tenants must have adhered to their tenancy agreements, with no outstanding rent arrears or breach of tenancy conditions.

2 – Completing the Swap

Once approval is granted, the council will  – 

a ) Inspect the New Property

 It’s advisable to thoroughly inspect the new property to ensure it meets your needs and is in a satisfactory condition.

b) Sign New Tenancy Agreements

 Both parties will need to sign new tenancy agreements, transferring their rights and obligations to the new property.

3 – Support from the Council

a) Housing Advice

Councils can provide advice on the availability of suitable properties and the likelihood of a successful move based on your circumstances.

b) Financial Assistance

 Some councils offer financial help with moving costs for tenants downsizing to smaller properties.

Can The Council Inspect My House?

Yes, councils can conduct inspections of council properties. This is usually done to ensure that the property is being looked after and that any necessary repairs or improvements are made. Councils are also responsible for ensuring that the safety standards of their housing stock are maintained, and regular inspections help in this regard. 

Inspections may also be conducted if there are concerns about anti-social behaviour or overcrowding in council homes or when tenants report concerns about their home or neighbours.

The local authority will normally inform the tenant before an inspection takes place, and they should provide reasonable notice where possible. If you have questions regarding your council house inspection rights, speak to your landlord for more information.

Can Someone Live With Me In My Council House?

In most cases, two or more people can live in a council house as long as they are all named on the tenancy agreement. Depending on the local authority’s rules, this could include couples, family members and friends. 

Remember that whoever lives in the property will be responsible for the rent and other conditions of your tenancy. Therefore you should ensure that any adult living in the house is aware of their obligations before moving in.

You may need permission from your landlord if there are changes to who lives at the property (e.g. when someone moves out or someone new moves in). Therefore it is important to keep your landlord updated about any changes so that you remain compliant with your tenancy terms.

Can My Partner Live With Me In My Council House?

Your partner can live with you in your council house if they are named on the tenancy agreement. However, depending on the local authority’s rules, this could include married couples, family members and friends. It is important to remember that whoever lives in the property will be responsible for the rent and other conditions of your tenancy.

Therefore, you should ensure that anyone who resides in the house knows their obligations before moving in.

You may need permission from your landlord if there are changes to who lives at the property (e.g. when someone moves out or someone new moves in). Therefore it is important to keep your landlord updated about any changes so that you remain compliant with your tenancy agreement.

How Much Is A 3-Bedroom Council House To Rent?

The cost of renting a 3-bedroom council house varies a lot based on where it is, what the policies of the local council are, and what kind of housing situation the person is in. Most council house rents are set at a price that people with low incomes can pay. 

In many places, council rents may be less than what you would pay for similar properties on the private renting market. The rent could depend on things like the size, condition, location, and desire for housing in the area.

Can A Single Person Get A 2-Bed Council House?

Can one person live in a 2-bedroom council house? Well, most of the time, councils give out homes based on how much people need them. Even though families who need bigger places to live often get first dibs, a single person may be able to get a 2-bedroom government house if certain conditions are met. 

For example, the person might be considered if they have a physical condition that requires them to have an extra room or if they share custody of a child or children who often stay over.

Another possibility is that there are no good 1-bedroom homes available at the time of the allocation. But it’s important to remember that in many places, the demand for housing is usually higher than the supply, so priority is usually given to those who need a place to live the most quickly.

How Many People Can Live In A 3 Bedroom House?

Most of the time, council and housing group allocations are based on what a family needs. As a general rule, a 3-bed council house would be given to families who would otherwise be too crowded in smaller homes. Here are some general rules – 

1 – A one-bedroom flat is generally good for a couple or a single adult.

2 – Children of different genders are expected to share a bedroom until one of them turns 10 years old.

3 – Every adult couple (married or unmarried) should have their own bedroom. Any other person aged 21 or more should also have their own bedroom. 

4 – Pairs of adolescents aged 10-20 of the same sex should share a bedroom. 

extra bedroom for Housing

Different Types of Tenancy

There are several different types of tenancy available for council houses in the UK. 

1 – Introductory Tenancy

This type of tenancy lasts for one year. During this period, the council will assess your suitability to live in a council house and you must comply with the terms of the tenancy agreement. Introductory tenants can only transfer their tenancy if they have completed 12 months without incident (e.g. rent arrears).

2 – Secure Tenancy

A secure tenancy gives you more protection than an introductory tenancy, meaning that if you are living in an appropriate property size and paying your rent on time, then it is doubtful that the council will terminate your contract.

A secure or flexible tenant has more rights when it comes to transfers, exchanges and subletting their home. It is important to check with your local authority on what their policy is when it comes to these matters.

3 – Demoted Tenancy

If you have broken the terms of your tenancy agreement, for example, rent arrears or damage to the property, you can be given a demoted tenancy. This means that you no longer have the same rights as a secure or joint tenant and could result in your contract being terminated at any time. 

It is important to ensure that all tenants know their legal obligations and rights when it comes to living in council housing.

4 – Secure Tenancy

A secure tenancy is one of the more common types and gives you greater rights to remain in the property. With a secure tenancy, you can transfer your tenancy (provided your local authority allows it), exchange it with another tenant or sublet part of it without needing permission from your landlord. However, if you breach any of the conditions of the agreement, your tenancy could be evicted.

5 – Scottish Secure Tenancy

In Scotland, the secure tenancy is more commonly known as a Scottish Secure Tenancy and lasts for an indefinite period. These tenancies offer more protection to tenants than those in England and Wales, such as the ability to transfer or exchange your home without needing permission from the landlord. 

However, you still need to abide by all of the conditions of your tenancy agreement or risk being evicted.

6 – Flexible Tenancy

Flexible tenancies are designed to give tenants more control over their tenancy. This type of contract allows you to remain in your home for longer than a traditional secure or Scottish secure tenancy, with an option to review the length of your agreement after an initial period (usually 3 years). 

Flexible tenancies also provide more freedom when it comes to transferring and exchanging properties.

7 – Joint Tenancy

A joint tenancy is when two or more people sign a single tenancy agreement and are jointly responsible for the property’s rent, bills and maintenance. A joint tenancy can be beneficial if you want to share a place with another person or family, as it will allow you to save money on rent and other costs associated with renting. 

However, due to the joint nature of the joint tenant agreement, if one person breaches the tenancy, then all parties are liable. Therefore, when it comes to joint tenancies, one person can live in a 3-bedroom council house in the UK, depending on which type of tenancy you have and whether you can meet any additional requirements from your local authority.

Housing Benefit

Tenant Rights and Responsibilities

Understanding the rights and obligations of council house tenants is crucial for maintaining a harmonious living environment and ensuring compliance with housing regulations.

1 – Rights of Tenants

Tenants in council housing are entitled to –

a) Secure Tenancy

Most council tenants enjoy secure tenancy, offering protection against eviction and allowing some degree of flexibility in making the property feel like home.

b) Repairs and Maintenance 

Tenants have the right to live in a property that is in a good state of repair. Councils are obligated to carry out necessary repairs within a reasonable timeframe.

c) Consultation 

Tenants have the right to be consulted on changes in housing management, repairs, and improvements that affect their living conditions.

2 – Responsibilities of Tenants

Alongside rights, tenants have responsibilities to – 

a) Pay Rent on Time

A fundamental obligation of tenants is to pay their rent and any other charges on time.

b) Respect the Property

Tenants must take good care of the property, avoiding damage beyond normal wear and tear. They must also report any need for repairs to the council.

c) Neighbourly Conduct

Tenants are expected to behave in a manner that does not cause nuisance or annoyance to neighbours or the wider community.

3 – Special Considerations

a) Subletting and Lodgers

While tenants may be allowed to take in lodgers or sublet part of their property, they must obtain permission from the council to do so. This ensures that the property does not become overcrowded and remains a safe and pleasant place to live.

b) Succession Rights

In certain circumstances, a tenancy can be passed on to a family member when the original tenant dies, known as succession. However, specific conditions must be met for succession rights to be granted.

Can You Inherit a Council Tenancy?

In some cases, yes. If the tenant who has passed away was a secure tenant or had a Scottish secure tenancy, then the council can transfer this to another person. This could be their partner, family member or someone nominated in their Will

Before deciding who will inherit the tenancy, the local authority must assess all applications thoroughly and decide which one best meets their criteria. In some cases, depending on individual circumstances, a new introductory tenancy may have to be issued instead of a secure/Scottish secure tenancy.

It is important to note that if you inherit a council house tenancy, and become the council tenant, then you will also become responsible for any rent arrears or other breaches of the agreement that were incurred before your inheritance.

Our Final Thoughts

This comprehensive analysis of the possibility and regulations surrounding an individual living in a three-bedroom council house in the UK highlights the complexity of council housing rules. Key pieces of information include –

1 – Council housing allocation is determined by household size, composition, and specific needs.

2 – The concept of under-occupancy and its restrictions on single individuals occupying larger council properties.

3 – The importance of understanding the council house application process and the factors influencing allocation.

4 – The role of the Bedroom Standard in determining Housing Benefit eligibility and the implications of the ‘bedroom tax’.

5 – The potential for exceptions to general rules in cases of medical needs or other special circumstances.

6 – The significance of being informed about council rules on bedroom sharing, council housing, tricks to get a council house, and the council house application process.

7 – Actionable steps include checking with local authorities regarding housing regulations, considering eligibility criteria for council housing, and understanding the implications of occupancy rules.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can you live in a council house and own another property?

It is generally expected that council housing is provided to those in most need, which typically includes individuals who do not own another property. However, there may be specific circumstances under which you can live in a council house and own another property, such as if the other property is not suitable for living due to its condition or location. It’s important to disclose any property ownership during the council house application process to assess eligibility accurately.

How long can one person live in a 3-bedroom council house?

The duration that one person can live in a 3-bedroom council house depends on the council’s housing policies and the individual’s circumstances. If a single person is allocated a three-bedroom house, it’s usually due to specific needs or a lack of smaller units. However, they may be encouraged to move to a smaller property if one becomes available, to make room for larger families in need.

Can one person live in a 2-bedroom council house?

Yes, one person can live in a 2 bedroom council house if their circumstances justify the need for an extra bedroom, such as a medical condition requiring extra space or if they are a foster carer. Councils assess each application on a case-by-case basis, considering the applicant’s specific needs against the availability of suitable housing.

Can my son stay in my council house if I move out?

Yes, in some cases, your son can continue to live in the council house if he is named on the tenancy agreement or if he qualifies for succession rights. Succession rights may apply if the tenant passes away or permanently leaves the property, but specific conditions must be met.

What happens if I need to move out of my council house temporarily?

If you need to move out of your council house temporarily, it’s crucial to inform your local council of the circumstances and the expected duration of your absence. Temporary absences are usually permitted for reasons such as hospital stays or caring for a relative, provided the tenant intends to return and the property is not left unoccupied for an extended period.

How can I apply for a council house if I currently live in private rented accommodation?

To apply for a council house while living in private rented accommodation, you must complete a council house application form available from your local council. Your application will be assessed based on your housing needs, local connection, and any priority factors such as overcrowding or health issues.

What are the rules for subletting a room in my council house?

Subletting a room in your council house is subject to council approval to ensure it does not lead to overcrowding and that any subletting arrangements comply with the terms of your tenancy agreement. You must seek permission from your council before subletting any part of your council property.

Meet the author

Tom Walker

Tom is a Content Writer and Editor for UK Care Guide, having previously acted as Head of Online for the Manchester Historian, and also the former editor for The Peterloo Institute.

Tom is a graduate of the University of  Manchester with a BA (Hons) History degree. 

His particular specialisms include writing on issues relating to later life (e.g. stairlifts, live-in care) and elderly care, having previously worked in a care capacity.  

UK Care Guide is really proud to have been featured on some of the UK’s leading websites

Share this page